Update: The campaign is now over. Thank you all so much for your support!
Missed the deadline? Premium CraftStudio accounts are now available at http://craftstud.io/
Previous Update: It would appear that WE HAVE REACHED OUR FUNDING GOAL!!! Thank you all for your support, the months ahead are going to be packed with lots of fun and a quite a bit of work too! :D
You can still donate and spread the word, every penny will help us make CraftStudio and Project Waffle bigger, better and faster.
You can take CraftStudio for a spin by grabbing a pre-alpha build at craftstud.io
Games with user-generated content like Minecraft, Little Big Planet or Trackmania have made it clear that lots of gamers are creative at their heart and that, provided with the right tools, you guys can and want to build awesome stuff.
User-made maps are great, but we can do better! Introducing...
Real-time collaborative game-making, for the masses
CraftStudio is a multiplayer platform to create games and interactive movies. It's about empowering gamers and blurring the line between playing and creating.
It makes a few trade-offs (a low-poly, pixel-arty look) to allow gamers with no particular experience to:
- Create, paint and animate 3D models (characters, objects) out of blocks.
- Craft infinite maps (think Minecraft’s creative mode), painting your own blocks to create whatever universe you want.
- Give life to their worlds using a visual scripting system.
It’s all real-time, you can collaborate with friends or strangers over the Internet. You can set up your own server or join an existing project.
- It just works: Choose a name for your game project, send a link to your friends, you're up and running!
- Simple, straight-forward editing tools, rethought to be usable by mere mortals.
- Community of people to partner with and projects to contribute to.
- A store to find and publish models, maps, behaviors or entire games. The idea is that you'll be able to share stuff on the store for free or charge for it. Note that you don't have to use the store. You will be able to export your game and distribute / sell it without owing me anything!
- Much more:
- Built-in revision system, you can go back in time and restore old versions of your assets. (already implemented)
- Collaborative rich-text document editing à la Google Docs for laying out your game's story or gameplay mechanics (already implemented)
- Project access policies & moderation features so you can choose whether your project is private or anyone can join and help. No text files editing, it's all part of the main client. (partly implemented)
- It will run on Windows / MacOS X / Linux when finished (currently Windows-only)
- The CraftStudio YouTube channel has a few videos introducing new releases and features
- Development log on TIGSource with screenshots & info about the development process
- Pictures of community-made models on CraftStudio's Facebook page
- CraftStud.io - the official website where you can grab a pre-alpha build of CraftStudio
Help spread the word
Get your friends excited by sharing this campaign on Twitter (awesome two-click tweet sauce!), Facebook or Google+. You can also submit this page on Reddit or Hacker News. Any little bit helps! Thanks a lot!