There's a War in the Shadows...
The world of Contagion is a dark and terrifying place. On the surface it is no different than the world you and I live in. Most people go on about their lives never realizing the terrors that walk among them.
Despite humanity’s vast ignorance, the horrors are there. Angels and demons make war in the shadows. Hellspawn serve their demonic masters. Clergy and Slayers rise from the human flock to protect their brethren and work God's will.
There's a war in the shadows. Choose a side.
Contagion is a modern horror/ urban fantasy game that I began publishing back in 2004. Using the Open Game License system, my partners and I created a world of wonder and horror in which players could make fantastic characters and tell unique stories of dark adventure.
Though I had been enjoying the hobby of tabletop gaming for over a decade at the time, I had not had any game design experience when I began work on Contagion. I chose the OGL system to work with, in part due to its massive popularity, but also because it was a tested and developed system that would not require an immense overhaoul on my part. I, along with my partners Darius McCaskkey and Toy Cesar, did make some changes in order to make the system fit the vision we had for the Contagion setting, but we left the core rules of the OGL system largely intact.
Now, nearly a decade later, I feel it is time to revisit the core rules of the Contagion roleplaying game and create a new, better edition. Over the last ten years, I've refined my craft in the field of game design, having put together thousands of pages worth of supplemental material for Contagion as well as creating additional game worlds for other products. When I created Contagion I crafted a world and made it conform to a game system. With Contagion Second Edition I intend to rebuild the game system to better reflect the world of Contagion.
Contagion Second Edition will:
- Revisit and refine playable races to ensure game balance while preserving the unique modern horror and urban fantasy elements of Contagion.
- Reconstruct the concepts of character class and occupation to streamline character advancement and place more control of character development in the player's hands.
- Improve and expand upon the magic system.
- Incorporate old and new supplemental material in additon to the core system all under one cover.
What We Need & What You Get
The finished Contagion Second Edition book will be a massive undertaking. I anticipate the book to be somewhere in the 400-600 page range when it is completed. System development, layout and proofreading for a tome of this size will be a time-consuming process. I will also need to compile art and generate new fiction to accompany the rules updates. In light of all of those things I have set a basic fundraising goal of $500 which will pay for the proofreading, typesetting and development time as well as getting some new art and covering the cost of a printed proof. But the $500 goal is only the beginning. I have a ton of additional ideas I'd like to see happen with Contagion Second Edition. To reflect this I am announcing some additional benchmark goals in the hopes that you can help me push the world of Contagion to new heights in 2013!
Our goals are:
- $500 - Basic Goal: I will generate the Contagion Second Edition corebook with updated setting and system information. The book will be available in .pdf, softcover and hardcover black and white print editions. Helping us reach this goal will give you access to these new books as well as some of our classic Contagion products. All .pdfs and print products will be provided through DriveThruRPG.
- $1000 - Tier 1 Advanced Goal: Rather than Black and White versions of Contagion Second Edition, all print copies will be in full color.
- $1250 - Tier 2 Advanced Goal: in addition to the Contagion Second Edition corebook, we will produce a 22-page .pdf file of an issue of the Global News Inquisitor, the supermarket tabloid that offers a glimpse behind the scenes in the world of Contagion. This .pdf will be distributed to all contributors at the $5 level or higher in addition to their other perks. This .pdf will be completed by July of 2013.
- $1500 - Tier 3 Advanced Goal: Plastic Age Productions will produce a short film (of a running time of 5-10 minutes) set in the world of Contagion which will be distributed digitally for free, exlusively to backers at the $30 level or above. The film will be completed by August of 2013.
- $2000 - Tier 4 Advanced Goal: If we reach this level of funding, we will distribute the short film digitally, for free to all backers at the $5 level or above.
- $2500 - Tier 5 Advanced Goal: If we reach this level of funding, we will generate a new short fiction anthology set in the world of Contagion, which will be provided free in .pdf format to all backers at a level of $5 or more. This will be delivered by December 2013. We will also open up the short film to all backers.
Ten years ago my partners and I took the leap into game development and self-publishing. We all made huge sacrifices of time to try and build a new world we could share with an audience , a world where people could tell stories with their friends and have a great time. Now, ten years later, I intend to refine the ideas set forth in the original Contagion books and take the experience for the player to the next level. Your contribution and support can help make that happen!Over the past decade Contagion has received critical acclaim, been certified as a Copper Best Seller at DriveThruRPG.com and spawned over twenty supplemental products. I believe with the ideas I have for Contagion Second Edition this will prove to be only the beginning.
You can learn more about Contagion by visiting rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/11944/Contagion
Other Ways You Can Help
We understand that times are rough and you may not be in a position to help financially. We also get that modern horror or urban fantasy gaming just might not be your thing. However, it may very well be someone you know's thing, and sharing a link is free, so there are still several ways that you could lend us a hand:
The biggest obstacle for independent productions of any kind is simply getting the word out. Without access to advertising dollars, our reach is limited to word-of -mouth. With social media YOU can be of immense help by simply sharing the link to this project and telling your friends about it. Ask them to do the same!Please use the Indiegogo share tools, post links on your Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and all of your social media sites.
Thank you so much for your help and support!
NOTE: All international (Outside the U.S.) backers PLEASE include an additional $10 to your contribution for print products to offset shipping costs.