The Discovery Channel: See CommBadge on the Discovery Channel's Daily Planet show
Pocketnow: "...like the Pebble Smart Watch, it’s just too cool not to be given a fighting chance." Podcast is here (skip to 0:25:45)
Android Authority: "Star Trek style communicators could be a reality with CommBadge"
Lockergnome: "CommBadge Brings Star Trek Communicators to Life"
Wearable Technologies: "Gadget of the Month"
What Is CommBadge™?
CommBadge is a patent pending wearable Bluetooth speakerphone for iPhone and Android that attaches securely to your clothing. It uses the latest noise canceling chipset to minimize background noise. By combining proprietary directional and personalized speaker technology, CommBadge brings you crystal-clear handsfree communication. It's simple to use, yet amazingly convenient!
You'll have full access to Siri and Google Now voice command functions seamlessly. Also, you can customize CommBadge with the FREE companion app for iPhone and Android.*
Easy and Convenient to Use
Simply by speaking and listening through your CommBadge, while leaving your phone in a pocket, purse or backpack, you can:
- Place and answer calls ears-free
- Send and receive text messages (“text-to-speech” through CommBadge)
- Use your phone's native voice commands, such as Siri, S-Voice, or Google Now, to set calendar events and reminders, get sports news, and search for information
- Receive an alert from the Wireless Tether feature that you left your smartphone behind
- Be notified of incoming calls, texts, calendar and social media events with customizable vibration, sound, and LED's
- And more, all handsfree!
Technology has finally caught up with the science fiction that was first imagined by Gene Roddenberry in Star Trek The Next Generation and it was called combadge. Finally, there is a real CommBadge, it's a miniature speakerphone with big sound. It utilizes Bluetooth Low Energy (4.0) to pair with your iPhone or Android smartphone. CommBadge measures only 1.5" (39 mm) in diameter.
Why Not Just Wear a Bluetooth Headset Instead?
I don’t know about you but I personally hate wearing a Bluetooth headset. I’ve tried tons of them, and they are all uncomfortable or annoying to me. However, holding your phone while busy at work or doing household chores is a pain. For many situations using a speakerphone is a better solution, and the only way to truly multitask. For example, cooking, walking the two dogs, home projects, and the list goes on.
So I started thinking. Why can’t I just wear a speakerphone? I did some online research and I couldn’t find anything! Then, about a year ago I started prototyping and experimenting with placement and functionality. The more I tested it in various environments, some being very noisy, the more I was blown away. Why hasn’t anyone done this I thought? So I formed a team of five to build a real CommBadge.
With today’s noise canceling technology wearing a speakerphone totally makes sense. It’s super convenient and really great with Siri too. Put your iPhone away, and you can still access Siri from a distance of up to 30 meters!
Can Everyone Around Me Hear My Conversation?
The answer is no! One of the most important features of CommBadge, albeit the most time-consuming aspect of it's engineering, is the technology behind the speaker enclosure or "cabinet". Speaker cabinet design is a complex mixture of art and science.
In order to get crystal clear sound to the user, the enclosure is designed to prevent sound waves generated by the rearward-facing surface of the diaphragm of an open driver interacting with sound waves generated at the front of the driver. SORRY, what this all means is that we designed CommBadge so the clean sound waves reach the user, but the sound waves that travel beyond a foot or so from the users ears are scrambled. Therefore, someone near you can tell you are on a call, and not directly speaking to them, but they cannot discern the other end of your conversation. Thus, preventing that public Bluetooth headset syndrome of "are you talking to me?" in the supermarket line.
Who cares anyway? Technology can sometimes seem quirky until it becomes ubiquitous. Nevertheless we solved this, with one quick tap you can transfer the call back to your smartphone.
Furthermore, most people are required to wear an identification badge while at work. A lot of people use badge reels for their access convenience. That’s how the CommBadge came to life, combining an ID badge reel and a tiny speakerphone. It’s always with you, and great for lunch breaks, etc. After work, simply remove your ID badge and it becomes your personal assistant. The uses are truly limitless; and you’ll be hands-free in your car if your car is not Bluetooth equipped. Once you start using it you’ll never go back to a Bluetooth headset. Science Fiction has now become a reality!
CommBadge's Wireless Tether Feature
What We Need and What You Get!
The CommBadge demoed in the above video is an actual working pre-production model. CommBadge is beyond the prototype stage. After dozens of CAD redesigns, and over a dozen 3D printed prototypes we have finally nailed the design. We are ready for production! With your support, we can bring a real CommBadge to the world three centuries early!
While we have finalized the design for production, your contribution will move it from a functional pre-production model, to a finished commercial product. The CommBadge will require a number of manufacturing processes like final PCB design verification and then fabrication, as well as injection molding and stamping, all of which are very costly initially, which is why we're here on Indiegogo. Once the project ends in late-December, we will begin production testing shortly thereafter. We plan on partnering with Dragon Innovation, experts with facilitating all aspects of product design, production, and fulfillment. We will be posting regular updates and contributors will be able to get an inside look at our progress. CommBadge can be worn in many ways. Also, it was engineered to replace your daily corporate ID badge reel with a badge reel plus micro-sized speakerphone that's a wearable designer device.
For our Indiegogo launch we will be offering it in three configurations. The first package will include one low profile CommBadge Classic (no ID badge holder) that you can wear for personal use. The second package will include one low profile CommBadge that you can wear and display your corporate ID badge in a thin and light configuration. The third package is the CommBadge+, the "+" adds a built-in retractable ID badge reel. Wear it just like you do your current corporate ID badge reel; either on your collar, shirt pocket, or hanging on a lanyard. After fulfillment, other accessories are in the works.
Perks For Your Contribution
CommBadge Classic - Galactic Black
CommBadge - Galactic Black
CommBadge+ Cosmic White
Timeline For Production
Mid-January 2013 - PCB design verification and specifications
Late-January 2013 - First injection molding runs, and submit to FCC for certification
Early-February 2013 - Order PCB, components, injection molds
Mid-February 2013 - Beta testing of iOS and Android apps
Late-February 2013 - Production runs for testing and verification
Early-March 2013 - Finalize for production, alpha testing of iOS and Android apps
Late-March 2013 - Begin full production
Mid-April 2013 - Fulfillment
Don't forget to spread the word with friends and family in the "Share This Campaign" section above!
Frequently Asked Questions
- FAQ: What is CommBadge? CommBadge is a next generation Bluetooth wireless speakerphone that is wearable. CommBadge is not a traditional Bluetooth headset!!! CommBadge attaches to your clothing quickly and securely. Additionally, CommBadge combines the ID badge reel you may currently be required to wear by your employer with a handsfree speakerphone.
- FAQ: Can I use Siri? Yes, Siri works better with CommBadge! Access Siri handsfree around the house while your iPhone is in it's charger!
- What about iOS 6 and iPhone 5? No problem, CommBadge was designed to work seamlessly with IOS 6. ALL iPhone's with IOS 4.0 and later will work with CommBadge.
- FAQ: How do I wear CommBadge? CommBadge is a 39 mm diameter module that is less than 14 mm thick (before speaker dome)! It will come complete with everything you need for handsfree communication with your smartphone. The Indiegogo launch will include either the CommBadge Classic, CommBadge, or the CommBadge+ with ID Badge Reel (only adds 5 mm to the thickness), and all include a micro-USB charging cable.
- FAQ: Can I run and jog with CommBadge? Yes, the clip has a secondary locking mechanism that will more than support the weight of the CommBadge without slipping or detaching.
- FAQ: How do I wear CommBadge with my corporate ID Badge? The same way!!! It will clip to your shirt pocket, collar, or lanyard just like your old ID badge reel.
- FAQ: How much weight does it add to my ID badge reel? CommBadge's components add less than two grams, so the weight difference is negligible
- FAQ: What if I don't need an ID badge holder or reel? Great, just purchase the CommBadge Classic, it's a sleek minimalist design that's 5 mm thinner than the badge reel model.
- FAQ: Can the "gray" securing clasp be removed? Yes, if you want to use velcro, magnets, etc., just unscrew and remove the clasp with a small phillips screwdriver.
- FAQ: What is Bluetooth Smart? Bluetooth Smart also known as 4.0, enables devices to be continuously connected but with extremely low battery drain. CommBadge will last about a full day on a single charge with average use. Stand-by time is even longer.
- FAQ: How do I charge it? Use the included micro-USB cable to connect to USB or a power supply
- FAQ: How do I pair it to my iPhone or Android smartphone? Just like any late model Bluetooth headset. It takes less than a minute. You only have to do this once.
- FAQ: What if I forget to take my smartphone with me while I’m wearing my CommBadge? CommBadge will alert you when you get a predetermined distance from your smartphone. You can adjust the range, warning tone, and vibration settings in the FREE to download iPhone and Android app.*
- FAQ: Will my iPhone or Android phone detect if I forget to take my CommBadge with me? Yes, the CommBadge app works with iPhone and Android Notifications and will alert you when you get beyond the predetermined distance away from the CommBadge.*
- FAQ: Where do I find the app? You can download it for free from the App Store or Google Play directly on your phone (coming soon).
*Requires iOS 4.0 or greater or Android 2.2 or greater.
CommBadge Technologies, LLC