About the Business of Sports Network
Sports outside the lines is a growing aspect of media. For years, the award winning BizofBaseball.com has provided insightful news, opinion, unique data for media and fans. Now, we look to expand to a single site that does what has been done for baseball to ALL sports
- My name is Maury Brown, a sports business analyst that has worked with those looking to bring Major League Baseball to their cities as a consultant, and how is heard each week talking the business of sports on radio across the country. As well as doing radio, I am an author for Forbes, Baseball Prospectus and Variety Magazine. I have freelanced for the likes of the New York Times, TIme and most recently for Peter Gammons
- Where there are sites that live behind pay walls that provide news on sports business, The Business of Sports Network aims to provide news, data, and opinion to users for free. There are no sites currently providing the volume of data and information for free
- At one point, there was Biz of Football, Biz of Basketball, and Biz of Hockey. While these were valuable assets to researchers, media, and fans, due to overhead they have been shut down. This fundraising effort will bring the data and information that was available there, merge the Biz of Baseball and additionally allow for coverage of soccer, motor racing, the Olympics, PGA, and more!
What We Need & What You Get
Break it down for folks in more detail:
- A reasonable $6,000 target is being sought to allow the creation of a new portal, and the ability to have the site hosted in a secure location.
- Remember, no site does this for free! You will be helping everyone from Sports Management college students, to main stream media, to fans get info without paid subscriptions!
- Should the $6,000 goal not be met, it will allow the award winning Biz of Baseball to survive. A site that has been referenced in countless articles from the likes of ESPN, the Boston Globe, The New York Times, The Economist, Sports Illustrated, and more is in danger of closing down due to lack of funding
The Business of Sports Network is more than just a fan site
- Every day, college students would have data and information used for the advancement of graduate studies on the business of sports
- Each week, information that has been on Biz of Baseball has been used for articles in mainstream media. With this funding, you ensure that not only is baseball covered, but all sports
- For years, those looking to break into journalism have been offered the opportunity to be contributors to the Biz of Baseball. Your funding will allow that to continue and provide a location where the next generation of sports writers get their start
Other Ways You Can Help
Some people just can’t contribute, but that doesn’t mean they can’t help:
- Through social media like Facebook and Twitter, we hope you will spread the word about this exciting media outlet.
- Remember, you can use the Indiegogo share tools to help spread the word!
Founder and President