I'm Anita Riggio, Book Writer, Lyricist and Producer of BRINDLEBEAST, and building this musical has been my passion, my pleasure, and my work for six years. Since 2010, we have successfully raised $90,000 through Kickstarter and direct contributions. These funds have allowed my collaborator, composer Sila Shaman and me to come to this campaign with a completed script and score, a Broadway cast of actors who are as committed to this project as they are talented, and an award-winning director and choreographer who are keenly interested in bringing BRINDLEBEAST to life in an excting new theatre space--plus BRINDLEBEAST has just been honored with the 2013 Martha Hill Newell Playwright's Award. GREAT NEWS!! But before we get to a staged reading, before we get to a fully realized production, we need funds to meet specific goals--and THAT's where YOU come in.
The Current Need
Check out the side bar for the low down on what you'd get for your contribution. Meantime, here's what we need:
- $5,000 to pay for the ASL translations of the script and songs
- $6,500 to pay for travel and housing expenses
- $12,000 to pay ASL interpreters and coaches during a 60 hour workshop
- $25,000 for development
Um...but that's a pile o' cash, isn't it?
Sure. $48,500 is a pile o' cash. But we're mounting one campaign that would carry us through the development process of the next year and a half--and to our world premiere. If we reach our goal, this campaign will fund three phases of development:
Phase #1 would be the ASL translations of the script and songs, ASL tutoring for our five hearing actors, and ASL interpreting for our two deaf actors.
Phase #2 would be travel, housing, and development for a workshop or lab.
Phase #3 would be development for a fully staged reading.
Makes sense, doesn't it?
BRINDLEBEAST braids together three story strands: a love story between a hearing man and a Deaf woman; a story of confronting a personal beast; a chronicle of the creative process itself.
The world of BRINDLEBEAST is inherently inclusive: it is multi-racial, Deaf and hearing, straight and gay. The quest of the protagonist in BRINDLEBEAST is everyone’s quest: to confront one’s inner beast in order to love and be loved.
I hope audience members will recognize themselves and their own struggles in these characters, and that after seeing BRINDLEBEAST, will return to their lives a bit more tolerant, a bit more accepting, a bit more loving of themselves and others.
Other ways you can help
You can support BRINDLEBEAST even if you can't contribute. Here's how:
- Help get the word out about BRINDLEBEAST by making some noise about this campaign at school, at the office, within your circle of family and friends.
- "Like" the BRINDLEBEAST Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/Brindlebeastie and leave a post. We LOVE hearing from you!
- Share this link on your own FB page and Twitter feeds, and let your friends know why you're excited to support BRINDLEBEAST. Invite your friends to "like" our FB page, too.
- Visit the BRINDLEBEAST website at: http://www.brindlebeastmusical.com/Home.html Share it with your friends and family.
- Use #Brindlebeast to give us a shout-out!
- While you're on the site, read my blog on writing and producing BRINDLEBEAST and Sila's blog about composing the music. Check out the "Building Brindlebeast" page for photos of our journey. http://www.brindlebeastmusical.com/Building_Brindlebeast/Building_Brindlebeast.html
- Send us flowers and cookies! Kidding, but do leave a comment. It's encouraging to know you're out there--and that you care!
- Use the Indiegogo share tools to share this campaign!
A Final Word
Because the creative team is expanding, the venues, locations, and dates of readings and performances are undetermined as of this writing.
Perks are not transferrable. Airfare and hotel are not included in any perk.
We so appreciate your support and we will endeavor to direct your donation to the category of your choice, however, if that category is fulfilled, we reserve the right to divert funds to an unfulfilled category while delivering the perks as described.