"We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope." - Dr. Martin Luther King
-BRAVEHAVEN 1799 – the other side of the rainbow
Left Out in the Cold
According to the National Coalition for the Homeless, each year between 500,000 and 1.6 million youth in the U.S. are homeless or runaways. LGBT youth make up an estimated 3% to 5% of the general U.S. population, yet they account for 20% to 40% of the homeless youth population. This startling disparity suggests that LGBT youth stand a much higher chance of becoming homeless because of abuse, neglect, and other family conflicts that drive them to the streets.
-Gay teens have a 50% chance of their parents having a negative reaction to their sexual orientation. 25% are thrown out of their homes. This parental condemnation sets into motion a dark and tragic day to day existence. Homelessness is the beginning. Terrifying loneliness, bullying, violence, sexual exploitation, and mental health deterioration, sadly, are strong players when the singular purpose in life is one of survival.
– The mission of BRAVEHAVEN 1799 is to increase the self-sufficiency of homeless LGBT youth to enable them to transcend adversity and become valued stable adults. We will do this by providing services such as case management, education services, life skills training, community-building recreational activities, opportunities for self-expression, and support services for HIV+ youth. Our guiding principles are those of harm reduction, youth development, and empowerment. All this at a home and farm focused on sustainability, permaculture, and preservation
– BRAVEHAVEN 1799 hopes to be a multi-generational project where anyone would be happy to boast of being “from” there.
– BRAVEHAVEN 1799's residents will have the security of independence, the pride of responsibility, and the knowledge their choices can be celebrations. Your generosity helps tremendously towards establishing one of the first financially independent shelter/homes for LGBTQ youth. Homeless kids deserve better than simply moving from the uncertainty of the streets to the uncertainty of a government funded available bed.
When we meet or exceed our goal, a generous project contributor has pledged a gift of $200,000 dollars. In order to receive this gift we must reach our goal.
Yes, contribute today and share your wonderful choice with everyone you can.
How your money will be used:
- Complete legal filings for Non-Profit Corporation, social services establishment.
- Complete goal of a mortgage-free facility.
- Perform needed repairs to home and barns.
- Establish outreach programs to surrounding metro areas.
- Improve energy efficiency of home, utilizing "green" technology.
- Employ art and animal therapy specialists.
- Money collected over goal will be deposited in a permanent operational and educational endowment fund.
- Establish a philosophy of self-sufficiency extended to the production, preservation and use of food grown at BraveHaven 1799.
Please be a BraveHaven 1799 project contributor!
Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you!
Team on This Campaign:
President and Founder