Who the What now?
There are some talented people out there - we all know it.
The (very pleasant) surprise came when we realised just how much talent was sitting around the table at our monthly ACT (Australian Capital Territory) Comic meetups.
The decision to collaborate on a project was easy.
We all have individual projects and commitments, so the decision to produce a high-quality, finished, long-lasting product was unanimous. An anthology made the most sense - and it gave us an excellent excuse to collaborate with each other!
Once we'd decided on a full-colour anthology, we realised that for most of us, being in the ACT was an accident of employment, or education, or (in some cases) romance. Australia is a big place, and where most of us had come from, we would never have met each other. So, rather than being exclusive about it, we opened up a call for submissions artists and writers and comic creators around the country.
And I'm so glad we did!
As at today, anthology will feature contributions by authors and artists including (but not limited to, and in no particular order):
Ryan K. Lindsay
- Jason Franks
- Martin Trafford
(A word of warning: while the Anthology will be PG-rated, some of these links contain words and images that are more suitable for more mature audiences!)
The Book Itself
The anthology will be
- Sized to fit into a handbag/satchel/suit pocket (A5 sized).
- One hundred glossy pages.
- Full colour.
- A collection of stories about beginnings.
- In a variety of genres - action, romance, autobiographical, super-hero, mythological.
- Family friendly (though not specifically aimed at children or young adult).
The book will be printed locally, minimising the environmental impact and helping the local economy.
What We Need (and why) & What You Get
Your contribution is helping to tell stories to the world.
We will be doing a small print run and making each book as beautiful as we can - rather than doing a larger print run and compromising on quality or features.
In addition to awesome wearable art (badges!) and electronic and physical art (avatars! prints! sketches!), we have received some exceedingly generous donations for perks. Currently available is a piece of original artby Steven Sanders, from the 'Five Fists of Science' original graphic novel!
(Claimed perks are listed below.)
All our perks will be sent as soon as available - badges, electronic art, and professional development perks will be available immediately; pre-ordered books will be filled as soon as the printing (and hand numbering) is complete!
No matter the size of the contribution, if you send us your twitter details, we will give you a shout out, and if you send us your URL, we will put you up on our blog as a supporter and link to your site.
If we reach our goal of $2000, our books will come out in March 2012. We will have a book launch and exhibition of original art from the anthology in Canberra, and we will have a table at Sydney and/or Melbourne Supanova Expo.
If we exceed our funding goal, we will consider a larger print run based on pre-orders. We will have a book launch and exhibition in Canberra; and we will attend more conventions across Australia.
If we do not reach our goal of $2000 through crowdsourced funding, we will still fill our pre-orders and provide all perks, and use online marketing and print-on-demand to get this book out to the world. We will aim to meet our deadline of March 2012
Other Ways You Can Help
Y'see, we Australians are shy types, not given to boasting, and reticent to put ourselves forth. We prefer to let other people do our boasting for us.
So, even if you can't donate, you can help us spread the word:
- Tweet or blog about us!
- Tell a friend using the share tools!
- Watch our campaign and get our weekly updates!
- Talk about us on a first date - it's sure to be memorable!
- Follow us on twitter for giveaways and promotions!
- Visit our website - we'll be giving away web banners, avatars and desktop wall papers, and hosting online events throughout the campaign!
And if you are interested in contributing in a practical way to the anthology, send us an email and let us know!
* Justin Greenwood, artist on Oni's Resurrection and Wasteland, has offered a 9 x 12 commission sketch of a character of your choice!
* A 45-minute professional development chat (via Skype) to discuss the nuts and bolts of writing, comics-writing in particular and work management with Kelly Sue DeConnick - the writer of many many comics for Marvel, IDW, Image, DC and Tokyopop!
* Lettering for your six-page comic, by Ed Brisson!
* A 10-page script analysis by award-winning author Mark Andrew Smith - the writer of Image Comics's Gladstone's School For World Conquerors and Amazing Joy Buzzards and co-creator of the Popgun Anthologies.
* A script analysis of up to 22 pages by writer of American Vampire, Swamp Thing, and Batman - Scott Snyder! (Read more...)
Team on This Campaign:
Editorial team member; Artist wrangler and butt-kicker
Visionary; Editorial team member
Writer of smooth words; Editorial team member
Artist, Animator, Motivational Squeaker/ Editorial team member
Artist; Videographer; Rock of Gibraltar; Editorial team member