- We are: Ellen Snortland (Writer, Director, Co-Producer), and Deborah Kennedy (Producer). Ellen has her J.D. from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles and her B.A. in theater and film from UCI. She is a human rights activist, author, and broadcast journalist. A regular columnist for the Pasadena Weekly, she also blogs for Ms. and the Huffington Post. Ellen has been a journalist and NGO delegate at two major United Nations World Conferences: the 4th World Conference on Women in Beijing in 1995 and the World Conference Against Racism in Durban, South Africa, in 2001. Ellen is currently on the boards of IMPACT Personal Safety of Los Angeles, 50-50 Leadership, and Consumer Watchdog. Snortland is the author of "Beauty Bites Beast," featured on Dateline NBC, and the up-coming book, "The Safety Godmothers," co-authored with Lisa Gaeta.
- Deborah has a background in the financing and sales of documentary films in the IMAX industry as well as other fundraising experience. Above all else, she believes in Ellen's stand for women and children's safety as a basic human right.
- As Ellen says in our video, 1 in 4 (and in some Domestic Violence Studies 1 in 3) women are victims of violence in their lifetime, often by people they know. Studies have shown that when women learn self-defense that statistic is lowered to 1 in 30.
- This money will help us get critical footage that is integral to the telling of this story. Timing is everything, as it's all happening in North Dakota at the end of November! Gotta chase the story, and that's where it is folks!
What We Need & What You Get
- We have already shot over 40 hours of footage and need $25,760 to fly our DP and Director to ND, hire a local crew (saves on airfare and housing), rent equipment, transportation, insurance, permits, feed the crew etc. etc... if you know about production this is the typical laundry list!
- Some of our tax deductible perks include a Southern California mini-getaway and dinner with Ellen (she is an amazing cook!) Not only is she an amazing cook and funny and passionate and a great writer and speaker, she is a fantastic writing coach. We are offering some virtual coaching packages that you can use for yourself OR give as a gift for the holidays! Those are just some of our fun perks!!
- If we don't reach our entire goal we will cut where we need to to get the most we can of the story BUT this is the amount we need to get the best story-telling experience or we wouldn't be asking for it.
- Women make up roughly half the population and that half is mainly living in fear of being victimized or AVOIDING being victimized. That all transforms when a woman or a child can stand up for themselves and know they can protect themselves when no one else is around to do it for them. Parents, partners, friends, women: this film will change your life and you will laugh along the way, 'cuz that's just how we roll.
Other Ways You Can Help
- We know some of you are moved by this project and would like to contribute more but just aren't in a position to do so. You can still be a huge contribution by GETTING THE WORD OUT! Share on all your social media sites, send a tweet and email the link to your contacts. Show our video to your work colleagues when you are pretending to work and the boss isn't looking. SHARE! SHARE! SHARE! You just don't know who will be touched by this project.
- Use the Indiegogo share tools! AND if you are reading this, we are impressed by your attention span! Who reads this much text anymore?! BRAVO!
THANK YOU - Ellen and Deb