Hello all and welcome to our campaign for Banhart Films. This is an idea of Simon Banthorpe's, an enthusiastic film maker based in the UK as seen in the delightful video above. The purpose of Banhart Films is to unite friends, family, graduates and simply creative people wanting to get involved with film in and around the local area to produce some original, interesting and exciting work. As many will know, the film industry is very tough and holds little opportunity for graduates and people willing to learn and commit. Basically if you don't have any "professional" experience (and we're talking 5+ years at least, most of the time), you're not getting in! Banhart Films hopes in one way or another to eventually be that film production service that provides opportunity and gives way to the ideas of many and the vision of most.
Projects are lined up and people are already interested in getting involved but what Banhart Films doesn't have is reliable and confident equipment to see through these projects. It also is so new, it doesn't even have a website but then these are the reasons why we've come to IndieGoGo.
If we succeed and get the equipment we're after then we'll simply have nothing but the utmost confidence in taking on the projects we have planned. Projects of our own and projects of others. There's a few on the list already for 2013.
2 x Short Films:
B513" (just entered pre-production)
B513 is a fan film we hope to make to bring us some exposure and represent our skills with film. Based on the much loved Alien movie franchise, it's going to be an all out sci-fi action short.
A sci-fi noir thriller based on an old character design and inspired by many detective films and characters including Hartigan from Sin City, Ghost In The Shell and Robocop (old Robocop not remake, black rubberpants, new Robocop!).
The short films we have planned/ ideas for are ambitious but they will test our abilities, let us see how far we can go in terms of FX/ techniques and make way to new audiences and give us that little bit more and all important exposure.
2x Documentaries (possibly a 3rd)
- The first documnetary planned is a small short exploring the life of a homeless man here in our local town. Currently under the working title "Regular Joe" Iit's an idea of a local creative called Sam White. She's also looking to break into film and get her ideas seen and heard.
- The second documentary is really only an idea at the moment. Based on an african man looking to run 3 marathons in a row across Africa, it's almost a sequel to a documentary I made in 2011 here in the UK. It is yet to be confirmed.
- There is the possibility of a 3rd documentary which focuses on creative people and artists alike who find themselves struggling with their chosen careers even after graduating from university with good results. It will look at what work artists do to pay rent and how much work they do in their spare time that's connected with their dream job/ career choice.
2 x Music Videos
- Currently in talks to produce a music video for a local artist and band in the new year. Music videos will help us experiment and show various techniques and skills with video production, post production effects and editing.
2 x Weddings in 2013
- My brother gets married in July 2013 and it's an opportunity for Banhart Films to capture and recognise the importance of wedding videography. Having this for our portfolio will represent what we can do for other couples looking for videographers and editors for their special day. It is key that we do it well and that the finished porduct is of severe professional quality but also represents our creativity and personal style that will make us unique amongst the competition. EDIT: Our first wedding is actually now in March, Northern Ireland!
It's a little crazy to have these projects become a possibility when we ourselves aren't fully equiped to take them on but then that's pretty much why we're here on IndieGoGo. People believe in us, whether they're friends, family or strangers and we feel that says a lot about the work we've done in the past and what we can do in the future, given the right equipment or resources. It would be a fantastically busy year if we were able to take on all these projects. Please, make it happen! You won't just bring us happiness but I guarantee you, you'll be bringing all the people involved in these projects happiness as well!
$10,000 is a lot of money and a massive target. Even when converted to British pounds (just over £6000 - without tax reduction) it's still alot but is it a lot to get a small business off the ground?
Film production equipment isn't cheap and never will be. When you need and want equipment that's going to last you the next 5+ years, it's never easy to get it or find the funding for it.
At the moment we're using a DSLR photography camera to do the filming. Whilst it does indeed have a movie mode, it is not primarily a movie camera. It has overheating issues and its battery life is genuinely pathetic. A great professional/ enthusiasts camcorder will make sure a moment isn't missed with superior battery life and continuous filming without any overheating issues. Weddings are going to be key to Banhart Films in the future as they will most likely be our main source of income so we're in need of camera that will constantly be filming for as long as we need it too during these special days and sometimes this can also apply to a off the hip documentary. We are looking to sell the camera we have at the moment to add to the funding and ideally we would like to have at least 2 cameras for future productions under our belt but this is not essential at this moment in time.
If we only raise $100 then it'll go towards something and something is better than nothing. However if that is the case then you'll probably see us again at some point asking to fund us again because we don't want to give up on our dreams. Some people are born to be truck drivers, admin workers, musicians, designers, builders... we were born to be filmmakers! Help us so we can prove it to you!
But what about you?! Our contributors?! Our supporters?! What do you get?! Well we are a very new company and we are literally asking for your help to build this company from scratch. In return we have some great perk gifts, check them out on the right hand side of our page.
If you can't afford to contribute (and we totally understand given the way the world is at the moment!) but still want to help then share this page with others who may be interested or may be able to afford a small contribution. We will be eternally grateful for anything, big or small that you do. Share us on Facebook or Twitter or on Blogs! Get us out there and we will secretly love you forever!