We are Bakersfield Burrito Project
- We go into the community and feed the hungry and the homeless. We do this without requiring anything of the people we help. No song or dance, just take the food, water or clothing and we ask for nothing in return.
- Every Sunday afternoon, we meet at Weill Park on the corner of James and Q Street, assemble burritos from rice, beans, tortillas, cheese (and whatever else is donated that week). People can come to the park, grab a burrito, a bottle of water, and go through whatever donations are available at that time to take with them.
- After the burritos are assembled, we go into the community and hand deliver the food to places we know where people need it. The homeless, the down-and-out, the addicted, the helpless.
- Every Sunday takes about three hours to assemble, and deliver the food we collect through the week.
What We Need & What You Get
The costs to feed the homeless and needy in Bakersfield usually fall on our volunteers. We would like to help our voluneers with the costs.
- Every week, we buy toritillas, cheese, ice, fuel for the cars to deliver the burritos, and other essential items.
- What do you get for your donations? The warm feeling that you helped to feed or clothe someone in need. Not one red cent goes into any of our volunteers or board members pockets. Larger donations will get you some sweet Bakersfield Burrito Project swag!
Please keep in mind the following:
- We have worked within the community for over three years. Every Sunday, we hand out over 100 burritos directly to the people who need them. We have received local coverage in the newspaper, the radio, and television. A google search for Bakersfield Burrito Project will show the dozens of news articles showing our work.
- Even if we don't reach the goal, any donation helps. $5 buys 5 pounds of beans, 10 pounds of rice, 2 dozen tortillas. If three people donate $5, those three people feed 40 people. Three people refer three other people who give $5, the impact of feeding the hungry becomes tangible. Join us!
Other Ways You Can Help
We understand not everyone can make a financial contribution. But there are lots of other ways you can help!
- Spread this campaign through the Internet and get it to people who can make a contribution.
- A bag of dried beans. A bag of dried rice. A dozen burrito sized tortillas. A bag of cheese. A case of water. Bring it out to the park and drop it off.
- Come out to the corner of James and Q Streets on Sunday, around noon. You can put your hands into the rice and beans and torillas and help assemble burritos yourself. Or meet after all the burritos are built, and take a bag of them to spread to people you know are hungry. Hand them out.
- Go through your closet and get rid of the old clothes you no longer wear, no longer fit into. Bag them and bring them to the corner of James and Q Street and watch people gratefully take what you can no longer use.
- Come on out to the park on the corner of James and Q Street and tell us we're doing a good job. Every Sunday, we do have a lot of fun. Join us!