Introducing Auto HUD Suite
Fellow automotive enthusiasts, I would like to introduce you to a project I've been developing for some time now called Auto HUD Suite. The suite includes a package of apps that are being developed Google Glassware and Android phones that are designed for use by automotive enthusiasts of all sorts. From spec car racers to motorcyclists and casual drivers, the suite has apps for you!
While the suite is being developed primarily as a Glass application we are making a mobile version for Android! They will be released at the same time and will be compatible with each other (you can track your friends with phones using your Glass and vice versa).
What we need & what you get
What we need is pretty simple. We need a pair of Google Glass so we can develop and test our app for Glass. We have an invite to the Explorer program, the basic groundwork of our app has been done, and the skills to develop it are here. But we don't have the money to purchase the hardware.
- The amount we have set this campaign for will pay for a pair of Google Glass and some basic app development costs.
- Any excess funds will be invested in better user interface design, servers that will allow more functions, better GPS integration, and OBD II integration.
- If we fail to raise 100% of the funds in the allotted time we will still attempt to develop the app, it just may take longer than we'd like it to. We really want to have this app available for or soon after the public release of Glass. If we can't afford the Glass we will release to Android first.
What you get can be seen below in the Applications and Display Tiles sections. Keep in mind that the OBD II linked apps will require the purchase of a specific Bluetooth OBD II reader. There are also two app suites which are the Street and Track versions. Features with an asterisk (*) are just for the Track version of Auto HUD Suite. The Track version does include all features of the Street version. Please also keep in mind that Google Glass are not available for mass market purchase yet. It is expected to be released in early 2014. If Glass has not been released when the Auto HUD Suite is complete we will release to Android first.
Each application can be toggled on or off by the user, allowing for a customized user experience.
Auto-Reply - Any incoming calls or SMS messages will be sent an automatic reply that you can customize with your own message as well as inputs from the application suite. An example message might look like this:
Dashcam - The Auto HUD Suite will record a continuous video in segments of your choice in duration using the built in Glass or rear facing phone camera. After each segment is recorded you may save it or it will be deleted after five minutes to make room for the next file.
Display Tiles - Enable this application allows you to choose from a list of informational Display Tiles which you can customize to show the information you prefer.
Intercom* - While running the Auto HUD Suite you will be able to communicate with your friends using the app on Glass or their mobile phones. You can use this feature to relay information between cars on a cruise or information between pit lane and racers on the track. Depending on wind conditions motorcyclists will be able to communicate this way as well.
MPG Calculator - When you fill up your tank you'll be able to enter the necessary information into the Auto HUD Suite app and it will track your fuel economy!
When enabled you will be able to display information of your choice from the list below on your Glass or phone display.
- Clock - It's a clock. You can set it to 12 or 24 hour time.
- Code Reader - Using OBD II the Auto HUD Suite will read your engine codes for you. You will also have the ability to clear the codes if you like.
- Compass - A simple compass will display your current direction.
- Group Locator* - You will be able to define friends in your area and track where they are located through the app (they must also be using the app). Under standard settings your friends will be shown on the map as green dots while moving, red dots while stopped and yellow dots if they need assistance. Alternatively you can change the color of your friend's dots so you can tell them apart.
- Lap Timer* - You will be able to easily define the start and finish line of a track or racecourse. The total time, number of laps, individual lap time, and split time(s) will be viewable on your Glass or phone display.
- Shift Light - Using OBD II, the Auto HUD Suite will read your engine RPMs and you will be able to set a rev limit for the display. When you hit the limiter the background of the display will flash.
- Speed Display - You will be able to add your current speed, maximum speed, average speed, average moving speed, total time elapsed, time moving, and time stopped.
- Track View* - You will be able to view the layout of the track or course you're racing on. You can record your own track or download pre-made tracks. Your position will be shown by a dot. You can customize the color of your friends dots on your display to tell them apart.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you cannot contribute you can still help us out! Share our project with your friends and followers. Getting our project out there will help us immensely so please take the time to do that! Share our project on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or any other social media site. We'll be forever grateful.
Thanks so much for checking out our campaign!