My name is Cody Short. I am currently a student, and I love tinkering with anything related to computers and technology; however, I have recently started to notice that my peers do not feel the same way. While I plan to start my journey towards majoring in computer engineering at Virginia Tech next year, most of my peers find themselves going for humantities related majors. The main reason for this is that they have never had the opportunity to really experience the feeling that arises when one can create their own digital inventions.
This campaign is rather straight forward. I intend to use the Arduino microcontroller in order to be able to enthuse kids around the world to look deeper into developing technology projects and not just simply using technology. Let's turn our technology users into technology creators. While there are some video tutorials that exist for Arduino on Youtube, the quantity and quality of tutorials that exist simply are not enough. One problem people face when approaching technology is that they do not have the prior knowledge to deal with the aspects that they encounter. This leads to a lack of engagement in the subject matter, and utlimately, the person giving up on what they are trying to learn. This tutorial series and book intend to serve as a way that people can learn almost anything they would like about Arduino. The content will start simple with blinking LEDs, but it will take off from there into a project based approach that introduces the many shields that exist for the Arduino and how to go about using them. From hacking a toy car to home automation, this tutorial series is sure to gain the interest of many who would have not been interested in this technology previosly! I also intend to use the Processing program environment found at www.processing.org in order to do serial communication with the arduino for some of the projects, such as implementing game controllers with the arduino.
What We Need & What You Get
There are many things that I need to purchase in order to produce this tutorial series and book. I already have some Arduino equipment, but in order to truly cover all that should be covered a large investment is required. An investment that I could not handle myself. Most of the things needed are listed below
- Arduino shields (bluetooth, wifi, motor, cellular, gps)
- Sensors (ultrasonic, ir rangefinders, temperature)
- Misc. electronic components (relays, LEDs, resistors)
- Adequate recording equipment (HD camera, High quality mic system)
Of course, this wouldn't be an indiegogo campaign if those who contributed were not rewarded and shown appreciation. I believe that this campaign serves a great purpose. Therefore, I'm offering many priceless things such as my time to those who are willing to contribute.
Contribute $0 USD or more:
- Everyone is entitled to a free copy of the Ebook that I produce in pdf formats. I may also provide in formats that fit certain ereaders better upon request.
Contribute $1 USD or more:
- Your name is menitoned on the youtube video descriptions and in the acknowledgements section of the book. Thanks for contributing! Every dollar helps!
Contribute $10 USD or more:
- Receive a thank you email from me personally. This comes with the invitation for you to email me questions concerning arduino or getting kids involved in STEM activities whenever you desire to do so. Thanks for your contribution!
Contribute $25 USD or more:
- Receive a DVD copy of the tutorial series along with a signed, hand written thank you note.
Contribute $50 USD or more:
- You're invited to hangout with me and other contributors of this level in a google hangout in order to discuss development of the tutorials and arduino throughout the develop of the tutorials and book! We will have a good time while trying to make a difference!
Contribute $100 USD or more:
- First of all, I would like to say thank you and invite you to join me 1 on 1 via skype or google hangout for a discussion of whatever you would like concerning Arduino.
Contribute $200 USD or more:
- Receive one of the inventions from the tutorial series via mail as long as I haven't given it to another contributor as generous as you by the time of this request! I will also include some signed memorabilia.
Contribute $300 USD or more:
- I will mention you in a video, and I will also post links to your youtube, twitter, or other social media outlets.
Contribute $500 USD or more:
- Receive a signed hard copy of the book with a handwritten thank you note in the front cover! Also, feel free to make any requests of anything you need help with as you really are helping my campaign work, and I thank you for that!
The enlightenment that can be received by those who watch the videos can truly make an impact. Imagine these videos sparking interest in technology that leads to the next big technology invention. Technology is a very important role of the world that we live in, and it is important that everyone have the opportunity to learn what they want about technology in order to create what they want. Upon the successful completion of this campaign. I intend to work on establishing myself and using the tutorial series to launch another campaign focused on encouraging kids and teenagers to go after a technology related career.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Tell your friends!
- Are you really good at editing video and creating graphics? I may be interested in letting you help with some post production stuff.
- Share, share, share! The more people that contribute the better!
Tutorial Recording and Author