What is the Animation is Art experience?
What we want to do is bring the community aspects of a convention to a retail experience! This means that we are raising money to improve our equipment and to add stability to the store for events! These are the kinds of events we want to be able to run at the store.
- Educational Panels and showings. We will also video tape some of these events and make them available online or even stream them online! We have the space for up to 30+ people in the store at once.
- We have the space, the connections, and the equipment to do events like Guest Autograph Sessions, cultural parties, fun panels, an artist's alley weekend, charity events, meet ups, Streetpass Aurora events, Disney Pin Swaps, and so forth.
- Coloradoanime.info is a resource we also hope to launch. The idea behind Coloradoanime.info is to collect all the information for the dozens of anime conventions, meet up groups, high school groups, college groups, and events into one all encompassing "wiki" of the amazing Anime Community, here in Colorado. We will also have pages in it with profiles for local artists, cosplayers, and so forth.
- This will also benefit and help launch the Suki Nihon Society for cultural appreciation. This will be a group that meets twice a month to discuss -via a round table- the anime community at large and the issues that affect it. These events will be taped in both audio and video. We are hoping to get some of the most prominent and opinionated people for each round table. We may even be able to Skype in industry professionals!
- We will also be able to hold art shows and have interesting memorabilia. When we started, we wanted to make sure we had something amazing at the store, every month. This fell a bit to the way side because of the issues and problems we have had to face.
- The Animation community in Colorado is amazing and also a bit "fractured." We hope to make our store, and the experience of our store, a neutral force that brings people together.
We are building a community center out of a retail store and we need your help!
What will we be spending this money on?
Let me break down a bit of what we need and why we need it:
- When we started up, we were not able to secure enough funding from the banking system. We wanted $50,000 or -at least- $30,000. We got $15,000 and they (Chase) changed the nature of the loan from an SBA to an ABA loan during that process. The same banking system that got over $7,000,000,000,000 from our government. So, we ended up with an extremely slim chance at life. It's a miracle we lived a year and we have everyone in the community to thank for that. Which is why it's time for us to start becoming more stable and start giving back even more to the community! This money will go toward stability, and more equipment for events. Some of the events will involve funds of their own; but those will be to get certain guests like voice actors, animators, or musicians into the store for events! Not everyone can afford to go to the amazing conventions we have in the Denver/Aurora area. Sometimes those sell out to capacity as well and people miss out. That is sad and part of the reason we want to get healthy and stable enough to bring those kinds of amazing events to our community. We also want to work with many of the other groups in the area for events. In order to do that, we need to be stable.
- We hope to meet or even exceed our funding goal. But if we do not meet that goal, everything that is sent to us will still go toward stability. We are working on as much as we can to build up a foundation and fix our current situation..
What will my donation mean?
The first and foremost reason for Animation is Art to exist is to give back to the community that we love by providing product and events that we hope the community will love:
- Our stability as a community center means that we will be here for the students of the high schools in our neighborhood. We are a safe, non-judgmental store where we treat animation as a brilliant medium. Our name is not the name of a store; but a statement of truth. Our purpose is to spread that message. Animation IS art and is a significant part of our culture, history, and lives. Sometimes, people visit us just to talk and hang out while discussing the shows, manga, and other products they like. We are not a huge, corporate store like Toys R Us or Barnes & Noble, where the experience is a lot less personal. We want to share the joy and pride that animation brings to us in a personal way. In a way that respects the art and welcomes new appreciation for the greatest of crafts.
- Animation is Art will work with DMG Ice, Area DMG, and Radio DMG when it comes to the release of original content on the internet. We will tape many of the events and be able to make that experience available for everyone on the internet. You will be able to join us at Animation is Art at any time and from any where!
- Through our Green Cross Commission Program, we are able to highlight and celebrate the local artists of our area of Colorado. Colorado is an amazing place and the community here will be highlighted and shared with the rest of the world.
What other ways can I help?
Sigh. Times are tough. However, there are many ways to help us out:
- Share this campaign and make some noise! Post it on Reddit, on Facebook, on whatever social networks you use. Let people know about us!
- If you live in the area and you have never been by the store, stop on by and say hello! Even if you never buy anything or put a penny toward us, just being there and talking with us is reward enough. Come on in and argue over which Studio Ghibli film is the best. Discuss that cray-cray episode of Gravity Falls. Why not come in and tell me all about your Bubbleine fan fiction. A community needs everyone and accepts everyone. Join our Facebook and talk with us. Just make some noise!
Person in charge.