• This production has been in the works for almost five years, but all the planning, talent, and hard work are not quite enough to make great opera happen....
• Be an important part of the operamission by contributing any amount you can to help cover production costs.
• You can sponsor a role or an orchestral musician, or you can help by contributing towards general rehearsal expenses.
• to help cover the fees for our magnificent artists and baroque orchestra, all among the best in the world.
• for NYC rehearsal space.
• for marketing and production expenses, including videostreaming and sound recording.
more about ALMIRA...
This is Händel's very first opera. He wrote it in 1704 when he was only 19, working in the opera house in Hamburg. His boss had a commission to set an Italian libretto, but either didn't have time or had other pressing commitments, so he passed it off to the young composer who was a violinist and harpsichordist in the opera orchestra. As was standard in this merchant-class theater, the libretto was translated into the German vernacular, with the exception of 1/4 of the arias which remained in their original Italian. So we will be performing the opera as it was done originally, in both German and Italian.
It's a 3-act opera with gorgeous music and a wonderful story. It was the only Handel opera of his 39 to be revived in the 19th-century, but for some strange reason has never been fully produced outside of Germany or Austria. The entire production team is very proud to be presenting the North American Premiere, and donating to our production is an opportunity for you to become a little part of history!
• Not a penny of your money will be wasted; we run a very tight ship!
• The success of Almira will allow operamission to produce more Handel operas, more new operas, and more of your favorites.
• operamission is always looking for new ways to impact opera's current challenge of striving to thrive. If you like what we've been doing, please show your appreciation by being part of this important event.
other ways to help...
• Please contact Jennifer Peterson if you cannot contribute, but would like to volunteer to help out at one of the performances.
• If you'd like your donation to be tax deductible, please donate through our fiscal sponsor, Fractured Atlas.
• Spread the word and make noise any way you can about our fundraising campaign.
• Use the Indiegogo share tools on this website.
Visit operamission.org to read more about the production, and purchase your tickets at Brown Paper Tickets.
original illustration by Tomi Um