This expansion is critical for the distro to remain a strong presence on the web for the next couple of years. Can you help?
The Alchemist's Closet has been up and running since 2008. It's reason for being is to bring strange zines to a wider audience. The distro (that's short for zine distributer) is focused on queer, trans*, Anarchist, punk, feminist, Pagan and occult zines. It's the only distro of it's kind.
- I distribute zines from weirdos who only peek out to send me more zines.
- I distribute zines found nowhere else in the known universe.
- I don't accept general-audience zines or zines on just any topic. There are loads of general purpose zine distros out there, and God/s bless them. They are the backbone of the zine community. I focus on not only good zines, but zines with a special flavor. While I love anti-oppression zines and punk paste-up and your basic queerdo zine, I'm actively seeking a blend of zines that presents these types of zines as precious subcultural tools-- artifacts and implements, like the Alchemist's tools-- for uncovering our own freedom.
Let's Get Specific
The Alchemist's Closet has been online for four years-- but there are limits to how much success I can have with no start up capital (I'm poor, myself, and don't have the money to get things the way they need to be). Right now I average two orders a week and carry under 30 zines. My goal is to raise $500 to pay for an awesome expansion.
- This expansion is critical for the distro to stay a presence on the web for the next couple of years.
- $500 will pay for 1 year of web hosting ($100), the addition of 20-30 zines to the store ($265) and inventory boosts on the current stock ($75). The remaining portion is allocated to prizes and IndieGoGo's fee.
- I have lots of talents and so do my friends, so I'm offering some kick-butt stuff to everyone who donates.
- If I don't reach my entire goal, I'll first fund $50 to web hosting and pay the rest out of my pocket, and devote funds after that point to purchasing new zines for the store.
Donating to me will make you feel like an utter champion.
Like I pointed out earlier, Alchemist's Closet is unique. I offer a deep texture web experience based on my commitment and love for zine folks and misfits, my total conviction in the brilliance of the zines I carry and the zinesters who make them.
Within three months of the end-date of this campaign (October 31) I will have transitioned to a new web host, built a brand new and easily maintained website in XHTML, created dozens of new relationships with zinesters, added 20+ zines to the distro, and added new products to the distro as well, such as candles, infused vinegars and oils, magical supplies, buttons, apparel, and mini art.
Sharing this Campaign
Please help me spread the word and raise the funds to improve my zine distro and make all babies a delight to their parents, and every grandfather a treasure and sage to his grandchildren, and zinesters everywhere shout with joy.
- Tell people and share this campaign!
**There are two $20 perks listed-- this is a mistake that Indiegogo doesn't let me fix. The second listing just adds a choice of prizes, so please pick that one for clarity's sake. Thanks. :D
Dylan C. Moore
Zine Distro Op