In Cameroon, Africa, books are scarce--especially the good ones. Which means few Catholics have access to quality spiritual reading. Fr. Linus, who is studying at one of the Cameroon seminaries, explains:
"One of the key problems the Church in Cameroon is facing, as in many parts of Africa, is that Christians do not read. And if they do, it's very thin. Most know very little about the Catholic faith and the situation is worst among the young people."
But what if we could change that, patricularly in the seminaries? What if we could provide good Catholic books to every future-priest in the country?
With eBooks and new media, I think we can.
Working with the seminarians themselves, we've decided the best solution is to go digital. So we're providing one CD for each seminarian in Cameroon, loaded with Catholic content that is accessible wherever he goes, regardless of the computer he's using or whether it has Internet.
Lighthouse Catholic Media will be producing and shipping the CD's to Africa for roughly $2 per CD. That's $4,000 total, which we could have raised by working with large charities.
However we’ve chosen a different route.
We want this project to be an experiment in new media solidarity. We want to crowdsource this work of mercy and we want you to join the movement.
For just $2, you can provide one CD for one priest, and put a ton of resources in his pocket. For just a couple bucks you can say with the rest of us, "we" did this, "we" helped make this happen.
It's super easy. Just click"Contribute Now" at the top of the page and you'll join the movement within seconds.
Also, check out the different perks on the right which have been generously donated by our sponsors. We're sending out books, CD's, DVD's and more all to say "thank you" for being a part of this.
*IMPORTANT* In order to receive a perk, choose the one you want and click the "Claim This Perk" button underneath it. If you just make a general donation, Indiegogo won't necessarily register you for a perk.
So what's on the CD?
- The Holy Bible in English and Latin
- The complete writings of the Church fathers
- The full Catholic Encyclopedia
- St. Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologiae
- Several Church documents and encyclicals
- Apologia Pro Vita Sua (Cardinal John Henry Newman)
- Heretics (G.K. Chesterton)
- How to Make Homilies Better, Briefer, and Bolder (Fr. Alfred McBride)
- Lord of the World (Robert Hugh Benson)
- Men of Brave Heart: The Virtue of Courage in the Priestly Life (Archbishop Jose Gomez)
- Orthodoxy (G.K. Chesterton)
- Pensees (Blaise Pascal)
- Priests for the Third Millennium (Cardinal Timothy Dolan)
- The Church and New Media (Brandon Vogt)
- The Great Teachers (Pope Benedict XVI)
- The Little Flowers of St. Francis (St. Francis of Assisi)
- The Priest: A Bridge to God (Pope Benedict XVI)
- The Spiritual Exercises (St. Ignatius of Loyola)
- The Story of a Soul (St. Therese of Lisieux)
Other Ways You Can Help
We definitely need money to make this happen, but even if you can't donate there are several other ways to help:
Pray. We don't mean this flippantly. This project was birthed in prayer and continues to bathe in it, so saying a quick prayer would be huge. Prayer, after all, is more powerful than money. Please pray not just for the project's success but for all those in formation around the world.
Share. If you're on Facebook or Twitter, share this page with your friends and family. Just click the share buttons under the video at the top of this page. If you have your own blog or website, embed the YouTube trailer or mention the project there. You'll also find some great graphics and banners under the Gallery tab at the top of the page.
Support our sponsors. This project is only possible because several people donated time and resources. If you support them, we can do even more in the future:
- NewAdvent.org - Check New Advent each day for the best Catholic articles arounds the web. You'll also find the Summa, the Catholic Encyclopedia, the writings of the Church Fathers, and for just $30 you can have your own CD with all of that great content.
- Our Sunday Visitor - The world's largest English-language Catholic publisher offers many great resources. From the OSV Newsweekly to helpful books and magazines, there's something for everyone. Check out their newest books and find something you like.
- Aquinas and More - The largest Catholic online store has thousands of products ranging from books and videos to chalices and church furnishings. They also have a great selection of low-priced Catholic ebooks and audiobooks.
- Lighthouse Catholic Media - Lighthouse is renowned for their magnificent audio talks from speakers like Scott Hahn, Mother Teresa, Fulton Sheen, Fr. Benedict Groeschel, and more. For just a few bucks you can subscribe to their CD of the month and MP3 of the month clubs and have great talks deilvered to you every few weeks.
- Word on Fire - The global media ministry founded by Fr. Robert Barron has one simple goal: to evangelize the culture. And that's just what they do through their blog, YouTube videos, and cultural commentaries. Head over to the Word on Fire Store to pick up your copy of Fr. Barron's epic "CATHOLICISM" DVD series or one of his many books, CDs, or DVDs.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: Why CDs?
A: Most of the Cameroon seminarians have access to computers, but Internet use is spotty at best. The CDs enable them to carry the content wherever they go, whichever computer they're on.
Q: Can I have a copy of the CD?
A: Unfortunately, due to copyright restrictions, the CDs are only available for the seminarians in Africa. But Kevin Knight at NewAdvent.org sells his own CD for $30 that has much of the content.
Q: What happens if you raise more than $4,000?
A: If we raise more than we planned, the goal is to create even more CDs and send them to other seminarians across Africa.
Q: When I donate, do I get *all* the perks beneath my amount?
A: Unfortunately, not right now. You'll only receive the perk immediately below your donation amount. So for example, if you donate $60 you'll just recceive the "Church and New Media" book, not the other items as well.
Q: When will I receive my perk?
A: Once the campaign ends on June 30, we'll begin shipping items out. You should receive your items no later than August 1.
Several people helped make this project happen, but I want to especially thank Rozann Carter, Production Assistant at Word on Fire, for creating the awesome graphics. Special thanks also to Elliot Foley at Lighthouse Catholic Media for his patience and generosity in coordinating the shipping and logistics. And of course, thanks to Fr. Linus Patem for dreaming this whole thing up with me. You guys are awesome!
Team on This Campaign: