Unfortunately the 9mm Vodka
Crowdfunding Campaign is now over. Though
we missed target, we think we know why and are developing 9mm Vodka regardless! For commercial enquiries, please contact me -
Jim - via email@example.com, or “like” us on Facebook to track our progress. Cheers!
9mm Vodka is a new, ultra-premium vodka packaged in a submachinegun bottle, menacingly presented in an aluminium flight-case with 4 shot glasses. It is a product designed without compromise in the face of the non-descript vodka industry.
This campaign has been launched to give fans the opportunity to pre-order a product and raise money for its development & launch. Without your support, it may never see the light of day.
- Jim Denoon, Founder
My Story / Project Background
After graduating from Oxford Brookes University (UK) with a Mechanical Engineering Degree, I headed to Shanghai, P.R.China in 2004.
China became home for the following 8 years and was where I gained my knowledge and experience of the global spirits market. Particularly so, in glass bottle design, development and production.
During my career I have been responsible for the development of numerous spirits brands’ glass bottle packagings, overseeing the process from design-inception to full-scale production. I have worked with many boutique brands as well as some of the global mainstream brands carried by large international drinks organizations (e.g. Campari Group & Brown Forman).
Working in the sector has illustrated to me that the market is in ever-increasing demand of more adventurous and exciting packaging. Understanding the technical limitations of glass bottle production has enabled me to push this to the absolute limit with 9mm Vodka and develop one of the most radical packagings ever seen in the vodka category.
With my extensive knowledge of glass production in China, we are able to achieve unrivalled quality at ultra-competitive price points. The net result being an amazing product, manufactured cost-effectively, to offer you, our supporters, fantastic value for money.
Although I now divide my time between the US and UK, I continue to work in glass bottle manufacturing and travel extensively throughout Europe, The Americas and Asia for trade shows and client visits. I will be travelling to China in September and - subject to the success of this campaign - a significant component to that trip will be to complete the development of 9mm Vodka and oversee the inaugural production run.
9mm Vodka is an endeavour led by me, Jim Denoon, and supported by a good friend/business partner who provides further technical expertise & good counsel.
1. Conceptualization. As with most good ideas, 9mm Vodka was conceived in the pub. Driven by our curiosity at the abundance of non-descript packaging and dull spirits products - we bandied about a few alternatives as to how we might spruce things up a bit. After a few more pints, this is what we came up with!
2. Design. After sobering up, it all still seemed like a good idea, so we began putting the idea into practice. The decision was made to include 4 shot glasses modelled on magazines. The front handle was eventually eliminated to overcome a manufacturing complication.
3. Modelling in glass. The idea was fast becoming a reality. At this stage it was necessary to make some compromises eliminating a few finer details from our original design.
4. A word on layout. The generic orientation of a submachine gun is such that the body lends itself well to being the vodka's receptacle. The product holds 500ml of ultra-premium French Vodka at 40% ABV.
5. Branding. Having a great packaging simply isn't enough, and we knew that to have a great overall product we'd need an equally strong name and brand. "9mm Vodka" was proposed by my business partner, which we liked and soon settled on. Developing the right logo was not so straightforward however, as illustrated by just a few of the alternative concepts below: -
6. Final Logo. Eventually we sided with something simple, clean and impactful.
7. The Branded Product. Although we thought it was important to feature the product's name and brand on the product itself - we didn't want the branding to be overbearing or detract from the packaging - the star of the show. The decision was made to feature a discreet silkscreened logo towards the base of the bottle, as well as on a riveted plate on the flight case.
8. The ingenious cap solution. Every bottle needs a mouth/closure and the natural location for 9mm Vodka's is at its barrel. A plastic "knurled" injection moulded barrel/cap screws to the bottle's neck to complete the product and seal the vodka within.
9. Product Layout - the main product and 4 "magazine" shot glasses are presented in a durable aluminium flight case. They sit neatly in corresponding cut-outs in a white PU foam lining, ensuring immaculate presentation and integrity during transit.
10. Final Pack. Finished with a sleeve containing all the necessary legals and information.
What We Need & What You Get
We are targeting THE ABSOLUTE MINIMUM financial threshold required to make the brand a reality. That said, glass production is capital-intensive due to: a) the need to fabricate a bank of expensive mould-sets, and, b) the requirement to finance a minimum production run of 5,000 units.
For us, crowdfunding does two things: i) it validates market-interest in the product - evidenced by pre-orders, and, ii) if it is popular, simultaneously generates sufficient capital for its development and production. Simple.
And that's why we think Indiegogo is the ideal platform for us. We don't view this as being a charitable campaign or anything altruistic. Frankly I'd be offended if you pledged money out of obligation or sympathy. On the contrary. We see this as a forum for people that like the product to pre-order and be one of the first to receive theirs in the mail.
Our Philosophy on Fixed Funding
Without reaching our target, we're helpless - unable to fabricate moulds and initiate the minimum production requirement - and that's why we've opted to run an all-or-nothing campaign. We also feel it's a bit fairer on our backers - giving them complete confidence that their monies will only ever contribute towards the intended objective.
The promotional video...
...my pledge to you in return, you LUNATICS!
For ages we've been dabbling with the tag-line "SHOOT VODKA" and thinking of fun ways we might exploit its double-meaning in a promotional video.
My girlfriend Erica (right) works in television and offered to star in the ad (her pledge to a successful campaign) if we could think of a suitable idea.
So this is what I came up with. And... unbelievably... also what she's agreed to...
"Shoot Vodka" could of course imply two things: i) shooting shots of vodka, or, ii) in the literal sense, shooting vodka with a gun.
Needless to say, we've decided to make a video about number (ii).
The production will take place in the desert in Vegas and will be overseen by firearm specialists. Erica will wear a camouflage bikini, and, upon her apparent misinterpretation of the instruction "shoot vodka", let rip with the biggest gun you've probably ever seen, obliterating a huge display of bottles of vodka.
I will leave you to ponder that scenario with these helpful visual aids: -
A professional production team specializing in super-slow-motion will be employed to capture: -
i) the gun's terrifying firepower.
ii) the fascinating physiological changes in Erica's body.
iii) the mayhem & dispersal of broken glass and vodka.
In celebration of a successful campaign I will personally pay for the production of the video described as a THANK YOU to all our supporters. It will then be made available exclusively to our backers for the first 3 months, before going public.
We've developed a nice portfolio of 9mm Vodka merchandise - from keyrings to a 3 day Las Vegas experience, there's something in there for every heart, mind and wallet.
Preferably we'd love you to pre-order a 9mm Vodka product (to help us reach our production threshold), but whatever you fancy, we look forward to supplying you great quality merchandise in a timely manner.
And no matter what you pledge, we'll throw in one of our nifty keyrings for free (excludes promo-video perk).
Discounts are available for multiple product purchases. Have a look at the handy table to see what saving you're able to make: -
Other Ways You Can Help
If you like the project and can't wait to get your hands on a 9mm Vodka product or any of the merchandise, please spread the word! After pledging yourself, it's the next best thing you can do to maximize our chances of achieving success, so please tell your friends. And while you're at it, ask them to tell their friends too.
On-going Communication.... and Thanks!
Although I've never run a crowdfunding campaign, I've backed a few and know I gain as much enjoyment observing a project's story unfolding, as I do the end result. In the spirit of my own experience I shall be providing periodic updates during the fundraising effort and I hope onto development, mass production and delivery. It's been a great journey so far and I hope the onward chapters can be shared with all the people who want to get involved.
Finally a quick and humble thank you. I sincerely hope that we reach our goal and we look forward to executing and delivering on the above. Especially that video!