PLEASE HELP US FINISH EDITING 50FAGGOTS AND GET IT OUT INTO THE WORLD!
View our season one trailer HERE!
50Faggots is more than limp wrists, soft lisps or sissy hips.
50Faggots (www.50Faggots.com) is the documentary web on how individual effeminate men survive and thrive in today’s queer communities. The series that takes a sledge hammer to the pillars of American masculinity. Audiences of our series are brought into the beautiful and complex worlds of midnight drag bars, contemporary gay politics, radical faerie communes, vogue balls, universities and Stonewall memories.
Our first season rolls along the streets of urban enclaves nestled in Chicago, Washington D.C. and New York City and unfolds through 10 stories of self-identified effeminate men who are living outside the culture of mainstream gay lifestyles. It features intimate, individual and group interviews, over the past 4 years. Our thematic webisodes show the self-acceptance and diversity among gay men, young and old, with humorous anecdotes, quiet wisdom, and inspiring models of resilience.
HISTORY OF THE PROJECT
The documentary series began in 2005 with all night discussions between Director Randall Jenson and his friend, and participant, Aaron Gray. They would talk about their identities as queer men of color, being effeminate and how they didn't feel they exactly ﬁt in to larger gay male communities. This led Jenson to seek out other men who were also trying to deﬁne (and often redefine and defy) their identities across the country.
50Faggots allows us to:
- Create innovative, entertaining and groundbreaking webisodes that challenge our perceptions and understandings of queer people in America
- Preserve the ongoing collection of LGBTQ people’s oral histories in America through our virtual archives, audio podcasting and interview transcriptions.
- Nurture young queer people who are coming out of the closet, growing up queer and still considering how gay they want to be today.
- Continue to connect our communities through the important dialogues on our interactive websites, forums, Facebook/YouTube/Vimeo/Twitter applications and pages.
The series consists of TEN webisodes. We’ve already completed THREE.
We need YOUR help to FINISH our 7 REMAINING WEBISODES, FINANCE POST-PRODUCTION COSTS and COMPLETE SEASON ONE.
Here are the six things we must complete:
- 4-week editing period to finish the remaining webisodes of Season One
- paying our production team to work their magic with our extraordinary footage (over 600 hours)
- audio and voiceover recording
- air travel to bring the cast together to film our reunion webisode
- building an interactive website (also available on smart phones and tablets) that houses our webisodes and includes archives of Season One, fan blog, and connects our multiple social media sites together
- hard drives to store and back-up our footage
PLEASE HELP US KEEP THIS IMPORTANT SERIES ONLINE, FREE and ACCESSIBLE TO THE PUBLIC.
50Faggots received amazing support and energy from a variety of diverse communities across America. We headlined the largest LGBT young people’s conference in 2011 and were recognized by the Association for Queer Anthropology as “outstanding anthropological work.” We’ve already hosted screenings and community events in over 16 cities and with your amazing work and with your help we can do even more!
OTHER WAYS YOU CAN HELP
Get the word out and make some noise about our campaign.
Use our Indiegogo share tools to promote to your family and friends!
Share our videos, visit our website and email us directly if interested in bringing a screening or event to your community.
Join our listserve: http://www.facebook.com/socialscopeproductions/app_141428856257
Connect with us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/socialscopeproductions
Connect with us on Tumblr: http://www.50faggots.tumblr.com
Connect with us on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/50Faggots
Connect with us on Vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/randalljenson
Connect with us on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/
If you are interested in making a TAX-DEDUCTIBLE DONATION, please contact us directly at email@example.com.
SocialScope Productions is organized exclusively for charitable and educational purposes within the meaning of section 501(c)3 of the IRS